Sunday, March 10, 2013

174. Hold a bird

I've held chickens before, but I did catch a wild bird in my hands one time.  The school I went to had a building with a big rotating wall, and a lot of skylights inside, so it was not unusual for birds to come in, but they usually stayed pretty close to the way out.  But one time I was upstairs, and there was a blackbird smashing its head against a window trying to get out.  It was concentrating very intently on the window, so it was easy to catch.  I grabbed it, and managed to hold it tightly enough that it didn't get away, and loosely enough that I think it was okay.  I used sort of a scooping motion around the whole bird to get the wings, since they were sticking out from the flying and all.  It had its mouth open while I had ahold of it, and it looked rather nervous.  It didn't poop on me, though.  I took it to a door and threw it out, and it flew away as soon as I let go of it.  Fortunately, no one stole my backpack while I was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment